Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Fresh Out of Creamed Corn


Fresh and creamed in the same sentence. Seems a little oxymoronish, doesn't it?

I've never been fan of creamed corn and I can probably thank the school cafeteria for that.

It's not a staple in my pantry, which explains why I got three-fourths of the way through a recipe for sweet corn cakes to accompany the fresh fish we're having for supper and realized I was missing 25 percent of the ingredients for sweet corn cakes--creamed corn.

How about just plain old canned corn. I could cream it in my food processor like my daughter did the other day. No canned corn. Not a fan of canned vegetables at all, really.

Frozen corn? I could defrost it, can it, cream it in my food processor and ta-da! (I really should break down and get a food processor one of these days).

No frozen corn. Peas. Asparagus. Brussel sprouts. Green beans. Oriental mix. Spinach--both leaf and cut. Nothing in the orange or yellow family whatsoever.

So I settled on sour cream. I know, no resemblance to the original ingredient. But it's...like...creamy.

How did it turn out? I don't know. It's still in the oven. Smells good, though.

The incident reminded me that current economic downtrends will necessitate more "making do." I won't spend $20 worth of gas to drive to the store for a can of creamed corn. Or a food processor. I'll use what's in my freezer (novel idea). I may even break down and darn socks. No, what was I thinking?

How well will the upcoming generation fare if they have to make do rather than make demands? Won't that be fun to watch? Or not.

There are wild strawberries in the ditch and wild blueberries close behind. I'd better get picking. I've never tried strawberries as a meat substitute in a casserole, but there's a first time for everything.

Oh, there's the timer on the oven. Sweet corn cakes. Mmm.

2 comments:

Eileen Key said...

Inquiring minds want to know: Do we ask for the recipe?

Today Dave Ramsey mentioned gas prices, then proceeded to discuss bottled water: $16/gallon and Starbucks: $53/gallon. Ahhh, the things we find important in life.

Anonymous said...

Hi Cynthia,

You and I are "old timers" from Write To Publish.
I appreciate your mention of Lin and the book that was done for her and the conference.
She's a class act.

So are you!
Brandt Dodson