Monday, August 11, 2008

Did you ever notice that sometimes the words that dig deepest into the flesh of your heart are the ones you wrote?

I cleaned the office this week. Had to. New shelves meant all the junk from the old ones had to go somewhere. Thank the Lord for a ruthless mood. It gave me permission to throw things I'd hoarded without the advantage of wisdom.

Cleaning unearths debris, but it also unearths gems we'd forgotten about, lost, or don't even remember creating.

Years ago, the radio ministry for which I write produced a Challendar Calendar--a twenty-one day calendar of challenging thoughts. Twenty-one days--the length of time it takes to establish a new habit...or make a weighty decision.I know I wrote what the calendar challenged, but reading them now--with the perspective of years--the entries stirred me to consider them seriously for my own life.

For the next stretch of time here on this blog, I'll share a tidbit from the Challendar Calendar. The lessons might only be meant for my eyes and heart. Or they may be meaningful to you, too.

We're in this together.

Day 1--If you entertain an unwise, ungodly, or God-doubting thought, you are in essence welcoming an ill-mannered guest who will leave his messes strewn all over the halls of your life, take advantage of you in a thousand ways, stain and ruin what you once held precious...a guest who may never leave.

"Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you." Proverbs 2:11, NIV

3 comments:

Eileen said...

Omygoodness. What timely words for me right now. No details, but really timely. I'm glad you cleaned out and found this gem!

Sara Cox Landolt said...

I also enjoyed your post. Thanks for sharing. Good stuff to think about.
Sara (Write-to-Publish 2008)

Sara Cox Landolt said...

I enjoyed your post. I've been doing some cleaning tonight as well. I will reflect on your note and verse some more.
Thanks!
Sara Cox Landolt