Saturday, August 18, 2007

Light and Shadows

I know, I know, I know. You don’t have to tell me. A blog is only effective if the blogger posts frequently, or at least regularly. When I logged on and saw that my last post was on the fourth of August, my guilt-o-meter peaked. Has it been that long?


It’s been a hard month. Joy had to fight its way to the surface through the flotsam of life’s shipwrecks. People I love hit Titanic icebergs.

So much debris in the water. The cries of the drowning silenced every other sound but the low, “I Am. And I Am here.”


Jesus walks on water. Does He walk on flotsam, too? Yes. And He still calls us to join Him out there.


Storm and calm. Pain and joy. Shadows and light.


Life isn’t life without the pairings.


I took the photo of these hostas while on a mini-vacation with my daughter late last spring. I felt like a real photographer when I grabbed my camera and said, “The light’s perfect.”


Or was it the shadows? The shadows made the light more obvious.


The beauty depended on the interplay of light and dark. And puckery wrinkles.


At this stage of life, that’s good news, too.

2 comments:

Angie A. said...

Oh, how right you are! We can't appreciate the bright, blinding light until we come out of the darkness.

Eileen Key said...

HE is faithful. Always. Clinging to the Rock has gotten me through the shadows.